Many ask me about learning Bioinformatics. So, I’m going to put some good learning resources
If you are a complete beginner, don’t aim to ‘understand’ everything discussed in a course or lecture or book. It’s okay to be partially ignorant but still moving forward. Try to go through 60-70% content of
1. Bioinformatics Methods I and II, offered by Toronto University in massive-open-online-couse (MOOC) Coursera.org has pretty good materials (video+tutorial). One can download the course materials from this Google drive folder.
2. On Shikkhok.com, a MOOC platform in Bengali language, there is a very short course on Bioinformatics, বায়োইনফরমেটিক্স পরিচিতি, offered by Bio-Bio-1 Foundation.
3. Reading books is the best way. I’ve found ‘Essential Bioinformatics’ by Jin Xiong an easy to understand book.
1. Start reading computational biology/
2. Learn coding. The target is to write small scripts that can automate many boring mouse-clicking tasks and save time. Say doing a single BLAST on NCBI is easy. But when you need to do BLAST with 20+ sequences, it’s madness. So learn Python, it’s current state-of-the-art language for bioinformatics programing (along with data science, too) and very easy to use/learn. Here’s some good resources to learn Python:
a. Codecademy.com has great learning environment.
b. This site contains several slides at its very bottom section ‘Introduction to Programming for Bioinformatics in Python’. I actually learnt Python from these slides. Just write the commands and try to get same answers, do the exercise. It’s very easy to understand.
c. Rosalind.info is a site where one can learn and improve his/her skill
Well, have a look into Rosalind Country Ranking, Bangladesh is currently in the 3rd position world-wide!
3. Learn R. More on this later.